Saturday, August 11, 2012

Exploration lot 3: Textiles/Ornamentation.



This textile ornamental pattern, which uses various circles of raw silk in a 'bruised' palette, is intended as a stylised representation of an inflammatory skin condition called Erythema Nodosum - a condition considered a flag for various underlying disease process. I owe my inspiration also to Gustave Klimt whose decorative style and ornamentation (see below) have been long time inspirations. Interestingly I have since discovered in my research that these highly visible skin lesions signal, among other conditions, Syphillis - a disease said to be rife in Klimt's turn of the century Vienna and one that terrified Klimt so much he  include representations of it in his work. Some sources seem to suggest that Klimt contracted Syphilis early on in his life and that the illness was a contributor to his death though this seems difficult to verify. Nonetheless for myself I love that the association I made between Erythema Nodosum and Klimt's ornamental style portends some extra depth...


No comments:

Post a Comment